I don't read romance novels, although I confess I once tried a Mills & Boon as part of my theory that if I read one I might be able to write one and make my fortune. I got so frustrated with the predictable plot, the wooden characterisation and the lifeless writing that I soon gave up on that idea.
Still, every now and then I do like to read a good literary romance and can recommend the following 10 books (in no particular order):
- The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
- A Ship Made of Paper by Scott Spencer
- Eden Close by Anita Shreve
- All He Ever Wanted by Anita Shreve
- The Visit of the Royal Physician by Per Olov Enquist
- Carnevale by M.R. Lovric
- Waiting by Ha Jin
- Four Letters of Love by Niall Williams [not reviewed on this site]
- The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough [not reviewed on this site]
- After You'd Gone by Maggie Farrell [not reviewed on this site]
Can you recommend a good must-read romance novel?